Friday, October 23, 2009

Quick, easy, and healthy dish!

I work during the day for an accounting firm and from time to time I have to stay late. So my kids 12 and 13 come home super hungry. So it's now 6pm and they are driving me nuts for food! So I couldn't figure what the heck to make. Luckily I had some chicken breasts, whole wheat pasta, and canned garlic tomatoes. So here is my super quick 30 minute recipe.

Feeds 4 maybe 5       15 minutes prep 20 cook time

1box whole wheat penne pasta
1 1/2 lbs of chicken breast sliced thinly
1can diced tomato, garlic, and onion
2 tbs olive oil

Prepare water with salt and olive oil put the top on pot so it boils faster.  While the water is boiling, thinly slice the chicken. Slicing thinly helps the chicken cook quicker. I like to clean my meats with apple cider vinegar just a few dashes. After a few minutes, wash the acv off the chicken and set in a bowl. You can use whatever herbs you prefer for the chicken however, I like to sprinkle basil, garlic, and some pepper for a kick!  After you do that add the box of pasta in the pot, take your spoon or whatever and swirl the pasta around in the pot. Put the top back on. Put the flame on high and add 2tbs of oil, add the chicken and cook until no longer pink. Open the can of tomatoes and pour into the pan when the chicken is cooked all the way through.  Allow the mixture to simmer so put the flame to low and cover. Turn the fire off the pasta when soft enough but not too soft. Pour the pasta into a collander and wash with cold water.  Set this aside and check on chicken mixture.  After five minutes pour the pasta into the same pan as chicken and toss together.
Voila!

My kids loved this dish and it's even better when you make some garlic bread.  If you try out this dish let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment